Currently, there are no Sister Kate open auditions scheduled – but there will be! Visit us again soon, or follow us on Facebook for audition information.
SKDC is a nationally-recognized troupe, comprised of female dancers, who are dedicated to bringing back the magic and entertainment from the golden area of chorus-girl dancing (1920s-1950s). We invite you to like us on Facebook (facebook.com/
We welcome those with backgrounds in vernacular jazz, as well as quick learners with a passion for the golden era of chorus performance! If you always dreamed of dancing in a Busby Berkeley chorus, love performing, and enjoy the company of like-minded ladies (21+ years old), we want to see you at auditions!
You should consider auditioning if you…
- Love watching Fred and Ginger movies.
- Always wanted to learn to dance, but didn’t know where to start.
- Love exercising in fun and interesting ways.
- Like meeting new people and dabbling in new hobbies. You love performing and are looking for a new outlet.
- Always dreamed of being a Rockette (and maybe still do).
- Love swing and jazz music.
- Own a pair of low heels.
As long as you come with a sense of humor and interest in learning, we welcome you to the audition!
About the Team Director – Robin Nunnally
As your Sister Kate Dance Company Director, I bring over two decades of experience teaching and performing jazz era dances in Seattle, the Pacific Northwest, and throughout the U.S. and Canada. I am a co-founder and manager of the beloved chorus girl dance company, Sister Kate, which is now in its twelfth active year in 2018. Additionally, I am the founder of Calgary, Canada’s premier vintage chorus girl troupe, The Sugar Sweets.
I am blessed to have the incredible support of two team managers as well – Jen Nelson and Kit Goldsworthy. With our knowledge and love for dances of the early 20th century, along with our equal love for teaching and performance, we will share this experience and passion with you!
Robin Nunnally’s website: https://www.robinnunnally.com/robin/
What You’ll Learn
On the team, we’ll teach you original choreographies directly influenced and inspired by female dance “choruses” of the 1920s-1940s. You will learn multiple routines and have the opportunity to perform them to an audience of vintage-dance enthusiasts, in venues around the greater Seattle area.
What You’ll Get On the Team
With membership on SKDC, you’ll receive:
- Two hours of solid and focused practice / instructional time each week
- Access to choreography re-cap videos, so that you can remember the details when you practice on your own or in small groups
- Opportunities to perform at local events, in front of supportive audience of vintage jazz dance enthusiasts (optional), in our twice annual full feature-length cabaret shows, as well as potential opportunities to perform at corporate gigs and private events.
- Part of the fun of being a chorus girl is wearing fun costumes! SKDC will be responsible for costs related to performance wear, except for the three items that are required for our members to purchase on their own (that you keep): team-specific leotard, dance tights, and shoes. We will attempt to build costumes around common apparel items to defray costs as well as leverage items from our personal stock, and you’ll be part of the crafting and sewing process! (no prior experience required).
- Guided learning opportunities and support of longtime Sister Kate members, including mentorship with dancing, choreography, vintage hair and makeup, and sewing/costume making.
- Discounted private lesson rate from SKDC Directors and Managers.
- Fun team-building opportunities and parties with your teammates outside of practice.
WHAT (the heck will I have to do)
- Complete a short survey so that you can tell us about your dance history, related skills, and chorus girl hopes and dreams. This is a REQUIREMENT to RSVP.
- Learn a short sequence of choreography in advance of the audition (provided by videos).
- Perform that choreography in a small group with other auditionees.
- Choreograph your own small bit of choreography from a list of pre-selected music and perform it solo. Song selection to be provided via Dropbox when auditions are scheduled.
- Learn more about the requirements and expectations of participating in the Sister Kate Dance Company.
- Note that SKDC has a monthly membership payment structure, starting at $65. (Membership decreases year after year, until you are “grandfathered in” at year 5.)
Do I need prior dance experience?
No! While experience certainly doesn’t hurt, we welcome new dancers as long as you have a passion for learning, challenging yourself, and having fun!
What should I wear to auditions?
Although you do not need to appear in costume, we ask that you wear something similar in form and function to an average costume. Acceptable items include dance tights, spanks with short skirt or small dance shorts, fitted tank top or short-sleeved shirt. Hair neatly pulled back or in an era-appropriate style. Short dance heels. You will be performing!
We ask that all attendees bring a pair of sturdy, short heels to wear for audition performance. If you have injuries barring you from wearing heels, please contact us. We recommend Bloch T-Strap shoe or something similar.
What are performance costumes?
We require a black leotard, black heels, and nylons or dance tights, procured at members’ expense. The SKDC will provide accessories and other basic costume pieces for the performance. We welcome all body types!
Am I too old/young for this team?
No! Our beautiful members range in age from 21-50+! We welcome anyone and everyone age 21+ to the team, and believe that your enthusiasm and positive attitude are the most important personal traits you bring to the group.
Who will be at auditions?
Just the team! They’ll be there to help you out and cheer you on! It’s possible we will take video for our own review – but don’t worry! It is for internal review only.
How do I sign up?
After auditions are announced, we will provide an online survey, which will secure your spot. You must complete the survey to be eligible. SKDC will then send you a comprehensive email with everything you need to know for the audition and more background about the group.